Moving from a full-time job to finding his interest and working as a freelancer, Kishan is a freelance graphic designer who started learning from Youtube. Freelancing for more than 2 years, he initially started with working for relatives to build his portfolio.
He believes that accepting work for less price in the beginning is okay, as it helps you refine your skills. For pricing, he prefers to evaluate the project and chargers on the basis of his skills. He believes in networking and maintaining long-term relationships with clients for growth.
He is a persistent and a hardworking person. His aim is to work towards his vision of providing satisfactory work to his clients. We wish him success for the future.
Read his exciting journey here:
1. Introduce yourself to us?
Hello, I am Kishan Sathvara. I am a Freelance Graphic Designer.
2. Why did you choose the field of design? How did you get introduced to this field? What fascinates you the most about your career choice?
In 2018, after completing my Bachelor’s, I started doing a technical job. However, I couldn’t see myself doing the same in the future. Hence, I started looking for something that I would love to do. I looked around on Youtube and found interest in logo designing. So, I started doing that on a freelance basis and then I started developing interest in the whole domain of graphic designing.
3. Why did you choose to freelance? When did you begin to freelance? Were you planning it, or how did it happen?
When I started learning from Youtube, I found some videos on freelancing. That is where I came to know about freelancing websites where I started my journey as a freelance graphic designer. It has been 2 + years of freelancing for me.
4. How did you approach the first few clients? Give key suggestions to the new freelancers.
When I was learning, I began to do work for some of my relatives. After that, I started to show that work to various clients whom I had approached. I want to tell every budding freelancer that you start building your portfolio by doing work for your relatives. Do some free work that will give you experience and will help you refine your skills.
5. How do you price your services as a freelancer? Any essential points that a new freelancer should know of?
I am pricing my services on the basis of my skills. I have sent my work to some skill based freelancers to check the worth of my design. So that I can know how much I have to charge my clients.
6. As a freelancer, what were the biggest obstacles you overcame? What were your worst mistakes?
As a freelancer, I have got so many clients that are just wasting my time without giving me any single penny of their work. So after doing that 3-4 times I realised that I have to do something. Hence, I have started to collect advance payment for my work. This ensures that no one can make a fool of me.
7. What do you do to polish your skills as a freelancer?
As a freelancer, I have to keep myself up to date. Hence, everyday I spend almost 1-2 hours checking out fresh content on the internet. I am practicing my learnings on the new designs.
8. What are the most crucial aspects that a freelancer should focus on for growth?
For growth, as a freelancer you always have to focus on networking. Don’t work as a worker but work as a friend with your clients. Having clients are friends will help you get more clients through referrals and connections.
9. What mission and vision do you have? How do you want history to look at you?
As a freelance graphic designer, my vision is to satisfy my clients as much as possible so that not a single client can say that I am not meeting their expectations with my services.
10. What would do you differently if you had to begin your career again? What would you focus on once you restart?
If I had to start my career again then I will do all the work that I am getting even at a very low price so that I can learn every aspect of graphic designing.
If you, as a freelancer are looking towards financial growth, read our article on How to raise your price as a freelancer? to figure out some key strategies for the same.