Congratulations! If you are reading this blog, most likely, you have sold a product or service to a client and now want to collect payment in lieu of it. Your client has asked for an Invoice and you are trying to figure out how to make one.
There are multiple ways using which one can create an invoice. It can be as basic as preparing an invoice from scratch on Word or excel to using already existing templates on the internet to using online Invoicing software, such as Refrens.com or Zoho. Read this blog to know why you should use online Invoicing software.
You can watch the demo video
Alternatively, you can follow the below step by step guide
Step 1: Add the word “Invoice” on the top.
Let’s see the steps one needs to follow to create an online invoice
Simply adding this word on the top adds to the professionalism of the Invoice. The client clearly gets to know that the document to follow is a legitimate invoice sent by someone.
Step 2: Add details like Invoice Number, Invoice Date, Due Date
As an optional step, you can add your brand’s logo as well which adds to professionalism.
Step 3: Add your own (or your business) details in the Billed By section
Step 4: Add your client details in the Billed To section
Step 5: Add line item details
Add what service or Product you sold in the line item giving full details like Item, Detail, Quantity, Rate and amount. You can add as many line items as you want. Depending on your deal you can add discounts, additional charges etc.
Step 6: Add terms and conditions
You can add Terms and Conditions after this. Some of the standard terms and conditions include:
- Credit Period after Invoice received date and Interest charges if the client fails to do those payments
- Quoting of Invoice number while sending payments
Step 7: Add any notes, attachments etc.
Some of the optional things you can add in the Invoice include, any notes, attachments etc.
- If you are using a word or excel template, it is suggested that you add Bank account information in Notes.
- If you are using an Online Invoice tool and it does not have a payment gateway, you can add the account information in Notes in this case as well.
Step 8: Signature and contact details
- Most online Invoices do not need a signature. Some online platforms give features to add your signature through already stored signature images or signing using mouse trackpad.
- End your Invoice by putting your contact information like email address and/or phone number.
Step 9: Save your invoice as a PDF so that it cannot be altered without your consent
Hope this step by step guide was useful and you are now more confident in creating an invoice.
At Refrens ,we have made this further easy using our intuitive software. Click here to create your first invoice.
Also, read this blog to generate more leads for your business or freelancing career